Saturday, June 7, 2014

Amelia Earhart's Vega Aircraft


© 1997 USPS & Lockheed Martin Corp

This is an oversize (5" X 7") postcard with a picture of a stamp from the Classic American Aircraft stamp issue. A sheet of 20 different aircraft stamps was issued on July 19, 1997. The complete sheet is shown here.

The aircraft on this stamp is Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Vega. This is the plane that Earhart used in 1932 to solo non-stop across the Atlantic (from Newfoundland, Canada to Londonderry, Northern Ireland) and the U.S. (from Los Angeles to Newark, New Jersey ) – both firsts for a woman. The Vega was a favorite of pilots seeking to set speed and distance records. Earhart's Vega is on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. You can see a photo of the display and read more about the plane and Amelia Earhart here.


This is a post for Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog


10 comments:

  1. I seemed to have missed this collection in 1997. I am glad they included the wright flyer.
    Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really was a pioneer! Thank you for sharing this stamp - and thank you for attracting our attention to Amalia Earhart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Amelia's Vega back in 2011 on a trip to The Smithsonian. Air & Space Museum what a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked that she called it her "little red bus". and the artist has shown it to perfection. What a super set of stamps with all the different colored skies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost posted an Erkhart FDC but changed my mind in the end...this postcard is fantastic! I just love this image!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card. Thanks for giving us the link to the sheet. That's one I would like to have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful vivid colours - in the whole set! I’ve actually seen this aircraft in the Smithsonian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole sheet is wonderful. I like to read about pioneers in aviation, and specially woman. So I love your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a really lovely stamp and it makes a great card too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...