Thursday, May 1, 2014

Svensk Folkdans, Daldans




Daldans, a Swedish folk dance, is pictured on this postcard. In this view, women are kneeling in a row on the ground, and men are lifting their legs over them. It may look like a silly pose on the postcard, but this particular part of the dance is one of the highlights. In the video below, this action occurs at 1:37 to 1:59.


 

This postcard was mailed in 1914 from Sweden to Minnesota, U.S.A. with a message written in Swedish. The card is imprinted with the greeting GLAD PINGST! which translates as Happy Pentecost or Whit Sunday. Pentecost means "fiftieth day" and is celebrated fifty days, or seven Sundays, after Easter.
 Whit Sunday, or Pentecost, celebrates the visit of the Holy Spirit upon Christ's disciples.  Whit Sunday is traditionally a day for picnicking.  Swedes also decorate their homes with bouquets and leafy branches, although the custom is not as widespread as at Midsummer. (source).

For More Vintage Views

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com/2014/04/sepia-saturday-226-3-may-2014.html


15 comments:

  1. The steps in old country dances generally have a meaning of some kind & I can guess at a couple of them in that dance. I believe, however, their meaning these days is purely traditional. :)) Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music in this video doesn't sound nearly as happy and festive as I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! I had never heard of that holiday before. How fascinating. I also loved seeing the dance. Wonderful postcard and post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new holiday for me too! So "glad" means basically the same in English and Swedish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen some of this special dance right here in good old Minnesota! Hubby's mother is Swedish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you matched motion with the still shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A super postcard to link to the theme. The video was a perfect addition, though of course I kept wishing the camera would pan to the musician.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making music or dancing, such a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always learn something on Sepia Saturday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow had not heard of that dance before. My goodness, hope those gals all ducked down. My very late Polish grandpa used to dance Cossack style at weddings when he was younger, by squatting and kicking his legs out but no one was underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonder what that step originally meant. Some sort of fertility rite of spring, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dancers that are full of Spirit which seems apropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you included the video because that shot had me more than a little confused. It looks like "Kick your mate in the chin dance."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thing you added that video.
    I does give a better perspective on the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...