Saturday, January 11, 2014

350 Years of Royal Mail Public Postal Service

Datapost Motorcyclist, City of London, 17p
Rural Postbus, 22p
Parcel Delivery in Winter, 31p
Town Letter Delivery , 34p
Here I have a set of four maximum cards with stamps commemorating 350 years of Royal Mail Service. The stamps were issued on July 30, 1985. Each card has a different cancellation dated July 30, 1985, the first day of issue.

I recently bought these, and I thought the envelope they were mailed in was worth showing too. It has an assortment of definitive stamps, a Post & Go stamp: River Life from Freshwater Life 3 issued in 2013, and a stamp that appears to show a police telephone box. The police box stamp is actually from the set Classic TV - 50 Years of Doctor Who, also issued in 2013. this was described as follows:
The TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimension in Space) is the Doctor’s ship, capable of travelling anywhere in space and time. A product of Time Lord technology, the interior of the ship is much larger than its exterior. The Doctor’s TARDIS is an unreliable, obsolete TT Type 40, Mark 3 TARDIS with a faulty chameleon circuit, stuck in the shape of a mid-twentieth century police telephone box.

The definitive stamps have slits that I hadn't seen before. These can be seen on the enlargement below. The slits are a tamper-proof feature designed to prevent people from peeling off old stamps and re-using them.

This is a post for Sunday Stamps at Viridian's Postcard Blog


  1. An interesting set to commemorated 350 years but all the stamps deal with times since the introduction of the postage stamp as we know it. Now I have a regular fight with our local post office who often insist on using labels instead of real stamps.

  2. Wow! Love the maxicards and the cancellations. I realize these are 2 years older than me! Lovely to have for collection!

  3. They were a nice set of stamps, I especially like the last 'postmaster' cancel. The post and go machines are only seem to be in main post offices in major cities so as I don't live near any I'm rather envious of someone using one. Like Bob says local post offices are 'encouraged' to use labels.

  4. Of the maxicards I had only seen the first stamp, that's a really nice set. Yes the PO are getting tighter on re-using stamps, I had no idea that is what those slits are for.

  5. I have seen those slits on the Machins just recently. I did not know what they were for.
    Thank you for participating!

  6. so nice! picturesque and colourful, like they've come out from some children's story book :)

    and just now ive learned what slits are....thanks :)

  7. I have recently peeled off stamps (because I had used the wrong ones, I hasten to add) with "tamper proof" slits with great success. Just do it sideways. But in the same week, when peeling one off the backing sheet, I managed to get the little inset stuck to my finger and not where it should have been.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...