Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rag Dolls



First I have a postcard of a pair of rag dolls made and painted in 1932 by Grandma Moses (Anna Mary Robertson Moses) for her granddaughters, Zoeanna and Frances Moses. The postcard is from the Bennington Museum Collection, Bennington, Vermont which has he largest public collection of Moses' paintings in the country. Grandma Moses (1860 - 1961) was a popular American folk artist who began painting in her seventies and by the time of her death had created over 1500 works of art.

Next I have a photo of myself with a rag doll. I think this doll looks really cute, but I don't remember it at all. I do vaguely remember a very large rag doll I had. That one was named after me because it was about the same size as me.



Fast forward to the 1980s when I was into country stuff. The pair of rag dolls below are ones I made in 1986. I made three of these--one for myself and two for Christmas presents. This photo was taken at Christmas and shows the dolls in an antique rocking chair.



I made these dolls from a Kentucky Rag Doll pattern that was in a Better Homes and Gardens Christmas 1982 magazine. I still have this magazine. The cover shows the Kentucky Rag Doll in the basket with other Christmas items. I also made the cross-stitch stocking that is pictured in the lower left corner of the magazine cover.



A few years later I started a collection of rag and other folk dolls. After collecting them for several years, I had to stop collecting them due to a lack of display and storage space.


Visit Sepia Saturday for More Vintage Images




22 comments:

  1. I keep hearing that we have had to get rid of all or part of our doll collections; that’s you, me and Rosie so far. It’s so sad. Any regrets? I wish I’d held on to more of mine that’s for sure. It’s good that you still have the magazines and patterns though. The country dolls have an air of Holly Hobbie about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have the dolls I collected as an adult, but they are packed away in a closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do not look very happy up there with your doll. I never collected dolls but I used to make and sell dolls in stores and at craft fairs, and for my children. When we made our last move I left all of them in Michigan. I don't miss any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shot of you with your doll! Priceless.

    I still have my collection. I had a special large cabinet built to hold them. They didn't all fit. The Kachina's are too large for any cabinet. Same with the nutcrackers. I just have dolls scattered all over the place. I dread the day I must part with them. I know it's coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I expected the ladies to excel at this weeks theme. I'd heard of rag dolls but I don't think I've actually seen one, or if I have it hasn't registered with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some scary eyes on Grandma Moses' dolls, sorry to say. Yours, on the other hand, are quite charming! I enjoyed this little tribute to the rag doll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes the country phase, I too went through that in the 80's and 90's. You just reminded me a had a number of handmade dolls which I forgot all about. I think I gave them all away. Yours are very nice and I like that you have the magazine to go with them.

    I had a number of teddy bears too - wonder what I did with all those?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool collection of dolls! I really loved the picture of you with the ragdoll, but you don't seem to be very happy - which ironically gives the photograph a very old-fashioned feel to it (where people seldom smiled.) ☼

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed seeing your doll post! The ones that you made are very beautiful.

    Happy Sepia Saturday,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, i understand about the lack of space. Imagine all the things we would hang on to if we had unlimited space. I love the picture of you with your doll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I once was foolish enough to make twelve rag dolls - Holly Hobby - that was their pattern name... T'was an awful lot of arms and legs to stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh all the things I have crafted and sewn over the years I have never made a doll. The gm Moses dolls are not too pretty but yours are very nice. Such a sad little face must had not wanted to pose. You probably wanted a pair of pants and get out run. Great post.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  13. There was a time I was into making cloth dolls too. Mostly, Eleanor Bailey dolls. I now have a little grand daughter so I may just start making them again. It was fun to sew them and use my creativity. Enjoyed your entry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rag dolls are delightful. I liked to cuddle my Raggedy Ann.
    Colleen
    http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your rag dolls are lovely, how lucky to have the talent to make these dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such delightful creativity and talent! I doubt that I would have the patience to make a doll - sewing clothing had me pulling my hair out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the photo of you and your doll with your legs sticking straight out. I couldn't find anything doll-related but you've done well! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many very crafty people today! I never made a doll and I think I only ever owned one. Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hand made dolls seem much more worthy for collections and heirlooms. But as with all hobbies there is always the expanding space they occupy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Nell: a buying of dolls could do worse than go through the posts this week. But equally a lover of dolls and a lover of old pictures would find lots and lots to admire.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The first ones are rather spooky but totally of their time, yours are lovely. That is the problem with having a crafting and collecting gene, unless you own a hundred room house:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You could rent a space, or re-organize your space, to put your collection on rotation...
    Just a suggestion!!
    That way, you could display everything, changing it on a seasonal basis. This is what I do with some paintings.
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...