Thursday, June 3, 2010

PFF - World's Largest Strawberry Shortcake



This is a postcard of the "World's Largest Shortcake" at the 57th Strawberry Fair at Lebanon, Oregon. This year the 101st Strawberry Festival is being celebrated June 3-6. This year's shortcake will be served on June 5. The cake is baked at a local grocery store baker. It is baked in hundreds of smaller sheet cakes. Then it is assembled, covered with powdered sugar, and dotted with strawberries.

Below is the recipe printed on the back of the postcard. It served over 14,000 people! The recipe has changed quite a bit since then. The ingredients listed on the festival website are 514 cups of sugar, 224 cups of shortening, 192 cups of eggs, 992 cups of flour, 576 teaspoons of salt, 2048 teaspoons of baking powder, 448 cups of milk and 18 cups of vanilla.



14 comments:

  1. What an interesting tidbit of sweet tooth history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Mmmmmm good! I saw the name Lebanon, which got my attention. Lebanon, Kansas is the geographical center of the US, and about 5 miles from my Mom's home. Another little tidbit! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment about my vintage napkins! You are always welcome! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about this celebration! And I live about an hour or so from that town--if they have a yearly celebration, I might have to check it out!

    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful postcard! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, but giganitc. Invite the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm. Strawberry cheesecake, I love that. I love these initiatives and festivals. happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I love the blue gowns on the ladies too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the card...crowd scenes are fascinating aren't they? so many styles of clothing. if my maths is correct this would be 1966...?! happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my! I do love strawberries. Glad I'm not fond of the shortcake! What an enterprise! That's some recipe! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now what we need is someone to do the conversions and see just how the recipe has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this blows my mind, postcardy! Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these goofy festivals. I saw on TV the other night where a group was trying to make the world's largest Rice Krispie Treat! What a world we live in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, now that's a shortcake!!! I just looooooove strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun - hard to imagine putting all that together. I just love the goofy things like that that people do. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting.
    But I'd convert the resources spent for food-eating contests and the largest [food] events.
    I'd feed the hungry with those resources. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...