Thursday, January 28, 2010

PFF - The IQ Zoo Kissing Bunny



The "Kissing Bunny" was one of the trained animals at the IQ Zoo. The IQ Zoo was founded in 1955 and lasted until 1990. It was located at 380 Whittington Avenue in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

From the back of the postcard:
The performing animals at the I.Q. Zoo are the result of something new in animal training. They have been trained by animal psychologist Keller Breland of Hot Springs, Arkansas. These animals learn by the reward system. No punishment is used. Once trained, they will not forget and will perform automatically for any one. The I.Q. Zoo animals are nationally famous. They have been featured on television and in Life, Collier's, Popular Mechanics and other national magazines.



You can read more about the IQ Zoo at the Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture.


20 comments:

  1. Awww. . . kissing bunnies. Your postcard reminds me of children's book illustration from the '50's.

    And another cool zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kissing seems to be on a lot of people's minds lately. I've gotten several searches for it in my own blog. Postcard is cuter Bugs Bunny any day. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness! I'll take a kissing bunny (and in Arkansas)!!! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't watched the video - but was this in the heyday of BF Skinner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful postcard and a fascinating phenomenon. On Dutch TV there used to be hamster races. They all had names of famous personalities and people could bid on them. But kissing a bunny seems more fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So in Arkansas there are kissing bunnies? I wonder what would happen if a kissing bunny met a merman! :D Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that postcard is so cute, i love the kissing bunny. love that valentine postcard from your previous post too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The IQ Zoo sounds so wonderful! The postcard is cute and lovely!! :) My PFF is up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating! What an interesting postcard... Happy PFF:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is a great introduction to your lovely blog!
    Thanks so much for stopping by -

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will come back and look at the video later on - it looks fascinating! I'd love to have seen the zoo. I was just talking about trained animals earlier this evening after watching a cat in an ad. I couldn't decide if it was partly special effects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cool, love bunnies. I'm putting you in my blog roll if that's o.k. with you, I always lose my way when it's not PFF. Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is hilarious! I was just about to write a post on this topic! I found the same video:) I have a clucking chicken card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet... a kissing bunny. Reminds me of a few places we visited when I was a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The same setup was also found in Cherokee, NC, among other places.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The rabbit was trained to pull the on the lighted bunnyhead switch with its teeth several times, which caused the feeder to kick out a portion of its daily feed. Very informative concept.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...