Thursday, October 1, 2009

PFF - Oktoberfest USA, La Crosse, Wisconsin








These three postcards of the La Crosse Oktoberfest are from the 1960s. One of them was mailed in 1965 and another was mailed in 1966. They appear to have been sent by the same person based on the handwriting, although they were sent to different addresses in Minneapolis and signed differently. Both mention a train, one calling it a "special train." Most likely this was a train from Minneapolis to La Crosse.

The La Crosse Oktoberfest was first held in 1961. This is the 49th year of the festival which is a "blending of the German Oktoberfest with Americanized style." Oktoberfest 2009 is September 25 - October 3.


14 comments:

  1. My second Oktoberfest postcard today! Sounds like everybody's thirsty!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that you have postcards about Oktoberfest sent in different years by the same person! And I'd forgotten about those gigantic beer steins. Thanks for sharing! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what is considered German, and what is "American."

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are great. I've never seen a stein so large. I wonder if that fellow felt silly in his lederhosen....they sure are short.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these postcards! How fun they are.....
    And Clydesdales to boot....
    I grew up in Webster Groves, MO., a small suburb of St.Louis....the home of the Budweiser Clydesdales.
    :-)

    Have a beautiful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are great postcards. There is no October Fest near me. I could use a beer.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these. I understand a little bit about the Americanized vs. authentic. At our local Oktoberfest, corn on the cob has a always been a big deal. It is very good and very un-German.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such vintage & lovely. Wish you have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun cards!

    We have an Oktoberfest in a town nearby but I've never been. I've heard good and bad about it.

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oregon's town of Mt. Angel has a wonderful Oktoberfest, too. The Glockenspiel plays every hour on the hour and there is dancing in the streets.

    Lovely postcards! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No shortage of German descendants in La Crosse; my wife was born near there and still has relatives there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really great. I collect La Crosse postcards, and haven't seen any like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting cards. Quite a surprise to see Americans in Lederhosen and people who can drink those huge beer steins. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...