Sunday, October 11, 2009

George L. Mountainlion Monument



This postcard pictures George Mountainlion II, "Research Associate in Human Behavior" at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson, reading the "last will and testament" of his predecessor, George I. Mountain lions are the the museum mascot and are one of the animals currently exhibited there in the Mountain Woodland area.

George was a young hand-raised mountain lion acquired by the Desert Museum in 1953. He was named George, with the L added for Leo, because he arrived at the museum on Washington's birthday. George was a very friendly animal who enjoyed human contact. Unfortunately he died only two years after arriving at the museum.

George L. Mountainlion II was another tame mountain lion acquired soon after the death of George I. George II became sick and died in December 1956. George III arrived after George II died. George III lived to be 17, dying in 1972. Another tame mountain lion then assumed the title of George L. Mountainlion IV.

L
ast will and testament written by Bill Carr and engraved on a large stone monument:

I FREELY GIVE ALL SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF NATURE I HAVE KNOWN TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE GRACE TO ENJOY NOT MAN-MADE MATERIALISM BUT GOD-MADE BEAUTY.

THE MAGNIFICENT ARIZONA SUNSETS I HAVE WATCHED FROM MY ENCLOSURE, I BEQUEATH TO ALL WHO SEE NOT ONLY WITH THEIR EYES BUT WITH THEIR HEARTS.

TO HUMANS WHO ARE TIRED, WORRIED OR DISCOURAGED, I BEQUEATH THE SILENCE, MAJESTY AND PEACE OF OUR GREAT AMERICAN DESERT.

TO THOSE WHO WALK THE TRAILS, I BEQUEATH THE EARLY MORNING VOICES OF THE BIRDS AND THE GLORY OF THE FLOWERING DESERT IN THE SPRINGTIME.

TO THE CHILDREN WHO HAVE ENJOYED SEEING ME, HEARING ME PURR, AND WATCHING ME TURN MY SOMERSAULTS, I OFFER THE PRECIOUS GIFT OF LAUGHTER AND JOY. THE WORLD SO NEEDS THESE THINGS.

AND LASTLY, I BEQUEATH MY OWN HAPPY SPIRIT, AND AFFECTION FOR OTHERS, TO ALL WHO MAY REMEMBER ME AND MY MUSEUM WHERE FOR THREE YEARS, I DID MY BEST TO SHOW PEOPLE THAT I TRULY LIKED THEM.


More information: George L. Mountainlion, His History

This post was written for
A Canadian Family
A Festival of Postcards Blog Carnival

5th Edition, October 2009: Quadrupeds

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful postcard! I LOVE it! My sister and I actually came upon a mountain lion (we're sure that is what it is--looking at this postcard now I'm positive), it was sleeping at the top of a HUGE oak tree on one of the broad limbs above. Glad it didn't awaken!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...